The Central Government of India has sanctioned Rs. 1,000 crores (US$ 228 million) to be released from the National Calamity Contingency Fund; the European Union announced that it is sending food aid and other relief materials worth 1 million euro (US$ 1.5 million); Britain has diverted 150,000 pounds (US$ 273,000) of an existing fund to provide clean water, shelter and sanitation to 10,000 families in up to 20 camps; and the US has offered US$100,000 to the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (which has yet to account for the funds to be used for survivors of the Tsunami in 2004) for immediate assistance to the flood victims in Bihar.
There are the usual calls to donate money to the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund or the Chief Minister’s (of Bihar) Relief Fund. There are also urgent requests from NGOs for volunteers, food and other relief supplies, and donations.
AID is a “volunteer movement committed to promoting sustainable, equitable and just development” in India. AID will be focusing on the following in Araria, Bihar:
- Rescue operations.
- Providing food, medicine and shelter.
- Fodder for animals.
- Removal of carcasses.
- Safe drinking water.
- Monitoring expenditures by the State.
Goonj has been working extensively in Bihar through its grassroots partners, with a special focus on the annual floods for many years now. Anshu Gupta, the Founder/Director of Goonj has asked for the following:
Material Support Dry ration, Medicines, candles & matchbox, torch & batteries, utensils, tarpaulin, feeding bottles, buckets, ropes, bedsheets, all kind of usable clothing & footwear. ( For the list of collection centers, please log on to www.goonj.info)
- Transport support to reach the material to effected areas
- Space for collection centers
- Facilities for local pickups
- Transportation of material from different cities to GOONJ processing centers in Delhi, Chennai & Mumbai
Needed- large quantities of –
- Rice, Chiwra, biscuits, packed eatables
- Water purifier tablets
- Basic medicines
- Sarees and children’s clothing
- Tarpaulins or thick polythene
- Export surplus/cotton cloth for making sanitary napkins
- Mosquito nets
- Stoves, cooking and water storage untensils/buckets
Financial support-Donations in India– Please send cash/cheque/draft in the name of GOONJ and send it to GOONJ.., J-93, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi- 76 (Kindly send your full name & address with the contribution for receipt/accounting purpose. ( All donations to GOONJ in India are tax exempted u/s 80 G of IT act.)Overseas donation can reach us through Cheque (in the name of GOONJ with your full particulars) or by wire transfer with an information on firstname.lastname@example.orgRotate it ( valid only for overseas donations ) through Wacovia Bank, New York swift code- 2000193008933, GOONJ, A/C No- 2591101004644
Bank- Canara Bank, H block, market Sarita Vihar, New Delhi- 76
Swift Code- CNRBINBBDFSContact- GOONJH.O Delhi–J-93, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi- 76 Tel.- 011-26972351, 41401216GOONJ Mumbai– Mr. Rohit Singh Tel.- 9322381600, Email- email@example.comGOONJ Chennai– Ms. Padma Tel.- 9842665320, Email- firstname.lastname@example.org“Do spread the word, talk to your friends & relatives, help us to organise campaigns in the offices, residential areas and schools.”
Immediate Relief Needs:
- Clothes: In Good condition, for adults and children of all ages, – bed sheets, woolen clothes, umbrellas, rain coats etc.
- Medicines: A list of the requirements is attached
- Financial help: Necessary. Please withhold for a very few days, until we are able to give you the account details of where the money must be sent.
- Volunteers: We would also need to have many young and active volunteers, who have the experience of working in situation of calamity (such as Tsunami,. earth quake etc).“We will soon be leaving for Bihar with a team. Those who want to volunteer and are willing to work hard, in a situation of challenge and adjusting to whatever conditions are most welcome.”The medical list includes:
- Ciprofloxacin tablets and infusion
- Levofloxacin tablets
- Chloromyecetin capsules and injections
- Ceftriaxone Injections
- Chloroquine tablets and injections
- Metronidazole Chloroquine tablets, suspension and infusion
- Paracetamal tablets and suspension
- B Complex tablets and syrup
- Phensedyl DM cough syrup
- Ranitidine tablets and injection
- Antacids tablets and suspension
- Cetrizine tablets and syrup
- Ibuprofen tablets
- Dexamethasone injections
- Hydrocortisone injections
- Deriphyllin injections
- Electrol, Glucose and ORS Powder